7.9.13

Seasonal change.

As winter slowly approaches, the weather here in Sicily has started to disintegrate.  When I first arrived at Vincicucci a month ago, the heat during the day was almost unbearable.  Hawt Italian Guy & I would be drenched in sweat, as we battled with the carob trees.  Beating off flies, which would attack you like you were a rotting piece of meat.

Now the weather is more akin to an English climate.  Often I wake to the sound of rain hitting the window panes, only for the clouds to disperse an hour later & the rest of the day to be glorious sunshine & heat.

Other times, like yesterday, I awoke to the sun piercing through the shutters.  After working in the carob fields all morning & afternoon with my fellow WWOOFers, a French woman & a Spanish guy, the sun shining heavily upon us, we came in for lunch & mid way through our pasta, the heavens opened & down came the rain.


After lunch, which is usually served around one o'clock, everyone retires for their afternoon nap.  I went for my rest at two o'clock & woke at six o'clock in the evening.  (I would like to add that four hours is not a common duration period for a nap.)  It was still raining heavily when I went downstairs & everyone had huddled into the living room, including Ugo, the farm's dog.

I do miss the summer months, although, at times they were unbearably hot.  But, this new autumnal climate is somewhat comforting.  I feel as though I am back in rainy England.  I do miss the winter months, tucked up in my pajamas on the couch, covered in a blanket, Pig by my side, film on the box.

Although, this new season is mildly concerning me.  I am due to leave Vinciucci for another farm at the end of September.  This time a vineyard, where I shall be harvesting grapes.  On the one hand, this is exciting for me.  A new experience & the ability to learn the wine making process.  On the other hand, I am being expected to sleep in a tent for a month.  Which would not concern me, were it not for the weather aspect, which I feel is going to rather impair my experience.

Alas, I have Autumn & Winter to get through, before I can come back round to enjoying some Spring warmth.  I may just have to suck it up.

x


6 comments:

  1. it sounds like you're experiencing something quite special - i've only just discovered your blog, but i'm looking forward to reading more about your adventures x

    Miho @ Wander to Wonder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's certainly something, filled with lots of highs & lows, but I'm glad I'm here. Thank you for the read. :)

      x

      Delete
  2. it has just started to feel autumnal here, I love it. you know this morning, this season and being here just so strongly reminded me of daddy and i really miss him. i love you and i'm proud of you. hope to see you soon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the same way as when you have your car washed & then it rains, I wrote about it raining & everyday since has been obscenely hot here! I miss him everyday too, I hope you & Pig are okay. I love you too & we shall Skype soon! x

      Delete
  3. I miss you.
    Come home and be comfy and cosy with me.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss you too!!! I would love to be snacking on chocolate, wrapped up in blankets, watching films with you!

      xxx

      Delete